It was the week of IFA, and some of the biggest names in technology delivered once again. Sony launched a new generation of the Xperia Z series, including the bombshell Xperia Z5 Premium, the world’s first 4K smartphone. Samsung managed to wow us with a Tizen smartwatch that actually looks sleek and compelling. Motorola brought out its refined Moto 360 2nd generation. Huawei introduced the impressive Mate S and the long-delayed Huawei Watch. Lenovo and ZTE continued their quest to conquer the market with affordable, but competent devices. Startup Nextbit showed off a fresh take on the cloud-centric smartphone concept. And maybe the hottest news of the week: details on the upcoming LG Nexus 5X.
Inside AA HQ
Having a team that is spread out throughout the world has its perks, but one drawback is we don’t often get to see each other IRL. That’s why big shows like IFA and MWC are special for us on a personal level. Not only we see each other, we get to meet up with our colleagues, friends (and competitors) in the blogosphere and media. And for people that spend their days literally staring at screens, that’s a blast.
Josh, Lanh, Nirave and I have had a good time in bustling Berlin, bringing you what we hope is some of the best IFA coverage around. But the show still goes on, so keep it tuned for more posts and videos over the next couple of days.
This week, we brought you our exclusive report on the Nexus 5X. Coming September 29 at an affordable price, the Nexus 5X will probably be targeted at the mass market, and that makes us happy – more people will be enjoying Android in the most Googley way possible, and we can’t wait to see the new device (and Huawei’s Nexus) in action.
Is 4K even remotely necessary on a smartphone screen? The debate will rage on for years, but Full HD is still a great choice, especially if battery life is what you’re after. From my hands-on time with the Full HD Xperia Z5, it’s a lovely piece of gear. If you want to win one, our weekly giveaway is the place to go – best of luck to everyone!
The stuff you shouldn’t miss
- Review: The most anticipated review of this autumn: Galaxy Note 5
- Review: Galaxy S6 Edge Plus review: bigger, edgier, but is it better?
- Tech talk: 5G is coming: will it make our lives simpler? Gary weighs in
- Roundup: Joe takes a look at the finest 10 apps and games that launched in August
- Tech talk: Want to understand how a SoC works? This in-depth post will help
- Rumor roundup: BlackBerry Venice rumors: Android, keyboard, oh my!
- Qualcomm’s Kryo chip will power 2016’s flagships: here’s what you need to know
Top news of the week
Xperia, now in 4K
- Sony Xperia Z5 officially announced: what you need to know
- Sony Xperia Z5 Premium officially announced: what you need to know
- Sony Xperia Z5 Compact officially announced: everything you need to know
- Sony Xperia Z5 hands-on and first look
- Sony Xperia Z5 Compact hands-on and first look
- A quick look at the new Sony Xperia Z5 camera
- Sony Xperia Z5 Premium vs Samsung Galaxy Note 5 quick look
- Sony Xperia Z5 Premium hands-on and first look
Gear S2 is here, and it’s impressive
Moto 360, take two
- Motorola Moto 360 (2nd Gen.) officially announced – everything you need to know
- Moto 360 (2nd Gen) first look
Huawei Mate S
- Huawei Mate S is official, here are the details
- Huawei G8 officially announced – metal chassis and fingerprint scanner in tow
- Huawei Watch available for pre-order today, priced at $ 349 (Update: live on Amazon now)
- Huawei Mate S unboxing and first look
- Lenovo unveils the VIBE P1, P1m and S1 smartphones at IFA 2015
- Lenovo announces YOGA Tablet 3, YOGA Tablet 3 Pro and several new smartphones at IFA 2015
- Lenovo PHAB Plus Hands on First Look
- Lenovo Vibe P1 and Vibe S1 hands on and first look
- Lenovo YOGA Tablet 3 Pro hands-on and first look
Nexus 5X coming soon
- Google reportedly set to unveil new Nexus devices on September 29th in San Francisco
- Exclusive: LG’s Nexus 5X coming September 29 for around $ 400
- LG Nexus 5 (2015) shows up in clearest image we have seen
Nextbit Robin: perching in the cloud
- Nextbit is Kickstarting its Robin “cloud-first” smartphone. (Update: passes goal in 10 hours)
- Here’s what the Nextbit Robin looks like in closer detail (gallery)
- ZTE Axon Elite quick look: what’s the difference?
- ZTE Axon Elite announced: a global version of the original Axon
Join our newsletters
Get the Android Weekly delivered to your inbox each and every Sunday, sign up for our newsletter below.